HW: Hawkfest, public transportation

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Thu Jul 31 05:38:39 EDT 2003

Steve Youles writes:

> I'm impressed with the amount of research you've evidently done and I doubt
> anyone else will come up with any better answers unless they live locally.
> Taxis are always the best (only?) bet...

That's how I usually got from Derby to Pentrich. Remember that in
Britain it'd only be seen as marginally eccentric to walk up and down a
platform or even a train with a paper sign saying "Anyone for a Hawkfest
taxi share?". I've had a taxi from Bristol to Glasters that way.

> I doubt very much that you will make your connection with only a 10-minute
> layover at Manchester, so best to plan on the extra hour in transit.  After
> the Swiss / German rail systems, the British one will be...well,
> different...

If we had a government that could make the trains run on time, we
wouldn't be allowed rock festivals anyway.

FoFP