HW: WOTEOT

Henderson Keith keith.henderson at PSI.CH
Thu Mar 6 11:23:37 EST 2003

Alisa responds to my comment...

> > Excuse me?!
> > Why indeed to forward a comment obviously intended to be kept
> > private to the entire list.  Terrible faux pas, dontcha know?!
>
> Because it was the HW list subject going and if I wanted to discuss it
> privately I wouldn't write anything to the list. So why to reply to me
> privately? He was afraid to show to all how clever and polite he is?

It doesn't matter to me *what* reason he had for wanting his comment/
suggestion to be kept private.  I respect people's right to privacy
for that reason alone.  Unless you're a mindreader, you can't really
say for sure why someone else chooses to do what they do.  *Most*
internet discussion is done without any of the participants knowing
each other personally.  (And so boc-l is a little different, since
many of us do silly things like fly across oceans to see gigs and end
up 'accidentally' bumping into a number of our online penpals).  But
anyway, I still think it's best in this case to always respond
privately when someone does likewise as 'first contact.'  Common
courtesy I woulda thought.

And you're welcome not to write anything to the list.  :)

Grakkl (FAA)

P.S. Yes, that's a joke!