OFF: 100 Greatest Guitarists

Nick Medford nickmedford at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 3 21:50:48 EDT 2003

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 19:36:48 -0400, Doug Pearson <jasret at MINDSPRING.COM>
wrote:

>And, of course, for some of the most mind-blowing psychedelic steel guitar
>you'll ever hear, check out Glen Campbell's (no, not the country singer!)
>work with the Misunderstood in the late 60's

Well I never. So this, I presume, must be the same Glen Campbell that
guested on one of the great lost albums of the 70s, Juicy Lucy's "Get A
Whiff O'This".

Confession- I always thought it *was* the country singer Glen Campbell.
Which did rather puzzle me, I must admit. I've wondered about that for
years.

And for another tenuous HW connection, IIRC the comic strip artwork for
that album was done by Gil Shelton, who also did the inner gatefold of the
Pink Fairies' "What A Bunch of Sweeties", an album featuring Paul Rudolph
(and all the other Fairies/HW connections).

I have an original vinyl copy of the Juicy Lucy somewhere, it was quite a
rarity even when I got it, I'd be intrigued to know what it goes for now,
not that I'm thinking of selling it. Although it's not *that* great,
really, the track with the steel guitar ("Midnight Sun" I think?) is
probably the best thing on it, and overall it doesn't quite live up to it's
semi-legendary status.

Nick