OFF: 100 Greatest Guitarists

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Thu Sep 4 15:27:01 EDT 2003

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 07:37:07 -0400, Ted Jackson <Tjackson at SYR.EDU> wrote:
>>And, of course, for some of the most mind-blowing psychedelic
>>steel guitar you'll ever hear, check out Glen Campbell's (no,
>>not the country singer!)
>
>Yeah, well be careful how you approach the issue of Glenn Campbell
>the 'country singer'

Oops!  I forget that the term "country singer" is generally considered an
insult here on boc-l ;^).  Not to me, however - I'm in one band that
covers "Flying Doctor" AND "Ring Of Fire", and in another band that
recently recorded a "Sister Ray"/"Saucerful of Secrets"-type spaced-out
jam (complete with Miles/Ratledge-style organ, Dettmar/Blake synth noises
& an Amon Duül I -inspired percussion freakout) that segues directly into
a country ballad (complete with lap steel, mournful fiddle, and Dixie
Chicks-style [well, two girls and a boy] harmonies).

>because he can absolutely crush 99% of all guitar players on this planet
>regardless of genre.  Maybe his music doesn't appeal to the august
>members of this list, but the guy can play his ass off.  In fact Glenn
>should be on any list of 'great guitarists.'  In a similar poll about a
>year ago, they compiled a list of 100 greatest rock songs, and Glen had
>played on about 10 of them as a studio musician!

All true; he's eminently capable of playing jazz & rock, and played on
most of the hits that came out of LA in the 1960's.  He was even briefly a
(touring-only) Beach Boy, so you know I gotta dig the guy!  (But I still
don't like his country stuff, even though I'm not prejudiced against the
genre; as a singer/stylist, he's no Hank Williams or Johnny Cash.)

And, as Nick mentioned, the Misunderstood / Juicy Lucy guy is Glenn Ross
Campbell (two n's and middle name).

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 13:00:25 +0000, Zebulon Mysterioso
<beautiful_foot at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:
>>Well ... one generally plays chords on both 6-string and steel guitars,
>>but not on bass
>
><rant>
>
>This is a sad fact that gets bassplayers a really bad name.  Roots
>notes and fifths just doesn't cut it!
>I've been called "the best bassplayer in Northern Ireland" and "the
>finest bassist gigging around Belfast" simply because I use chords
>and stuff.  I'm actually very good at all, I'm just not boring.
>
>Bass players - improve thyselves!  Live not with the stygma of bass
>playing being just a thing people who can't play guitar do!
>
></rant>

That's why I said "generally" :^) ...

As a bassist, I have to say that I don't entirely agree.  Yes, playing
*exclusively* roots/fifths is usually pretty boring (although some songs
do call for it), and stylistic variety is almost always a good thing.  But
I'm personally suspicious of a bassist who *refuses* to play
simple/repetitive parts when a song (or section of a song) does call for
such a part.  I love playing the parts of songs where I get to play
rhythms and melodies (and yes, even the occasional chord) counter to what
the guitarist is doing, but I also love playing the parts where I just
hammer out the rhythm on a single note while the guitarist does his thing;
it's all about what works with the song ...

But then again, nobody's ever called me the best bassist of anywhere, so
it's quite possible that I'm talking out my ass ... it wouldn't be the
first time ...

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com