OFF: Great Bassists (was100 Greatest Guitarists)

Nick Medford nickmedford at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 6 16:59:34 EDT 2003

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 19:10:27 -0400, DRider <Farflung at COMCAST.NET> wrote:

>I don't know....
>There's alot of great bassists out there....
>Here's a few that spring to mind
>(in no certain order - well, the top four on the list are there for a
reason

Er... hasn't anyone on this list heard of Jaco Pastorius??

To have a list of 100 great bassists and not include him is a major
oversight. In fact, to have a list of THREE great bassists and not include
him would be a major oversight!

Many musicians regard him as the greatest bass player of all time, far
ahead of anyone else, in much the same way that Hendrix is commonly
regarded as way out in front of all other guitarists.

What else? Well, Adrian Shaw would be on my list. And I have to agree with
Rich that some of these are selected from bands you (DRider) presumably
like, which is understandable, but some of them really aren't exceptional
players. Roger Glover? Paul McCartney? PETE WAY??!! OTOH, while I can't
stand Iron Maiden, I'll concede that Steve Harris is a fine bassist.

Nick