OFF: Wayne Kramers's reasons for the hoohah...

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Thu Apr 1 20:12:18 EST 2004

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 18:47:07 -0500, Albert Bouchard
<ir004728 at MINDSPRING.COM> wrote:
>On Apr 1, 2004, at 12:59 PM, js3619 at ACMENET.NET wrote:
>
>> Since a bunch like the 5, might as well keep the story flowin' to the
>> list.
>
>Ouch! Seems like brother Wayne has been taking it up the bee-hind
>lately. I think he waited too long to pull the plug on these schysters.
>Makes me feel like a truly luck man.
>Al

Thanks for posting that, Jason!  Yeah, what a fucked-up situation.  A
shame, because the movie really is great.  It truly sucks that the only
way this is likely to be resolved is in the courts (which usually means
that *everyone* loses) ... I suspect that there will soon be an injunction
against showing the documentary.

>PS Was not Wayne Kramer really the driving force behind MC5? We played
>with Rob Tyner and his band towards the end. He was a great guy but it
>was pretty sad.

He definitely appears to be the driving force in the documentary!  And at
one point, he says that there was something along the lines of a "coup" in
the band where Fred Smith was made "co-leader" along with him (Wayne),
since Fred's songwriting was becoming much stronger, and Wayne was
starting his decline into addiction.  But yeah, that indicates that Wayne
was the bandleader for the formative years of their career (and he's
certainly had more of a "solo" career than any of the other '5, although
Fred's Sonic Rendezvous Band might have been the best MC5 spinoff IMHO).

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com