HW: Hawkwind - Sonic Assassins

Ian Abrahams mail at ABRAHAMSI.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Mon Apr 5 15:14:46 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric Siegerman" <erics at TELEPRES.COM>

> On Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 06:13:02PM +0100, Ian Abrahams wrote:
> > Yes, there is a deal, and a contract, and an advance. Generally advances
> > against royalties are either as a percentage of cover price or as a
> > percentage of the price received from the distributors.
>
> Based on the publisher's estimate of how many copies they'll
> sell?  First printing only?  (Is that the same question asked two
> ways?)

Yes, there is a formula, generally, as to how much an advance should
calculate out to be, based on expected sales - but I don't know what it is
and am very happy with the deal I did.

> > [...] word count,
> > which is around 114,000 - 115,000 as it stands.
>
> "As it stands" meaning that it's still in the editing stage?  I'd
> have thought that they couldn't give a firm page count until the
> copy had been finalized...

Well, technically I guess you are right, though they have to commit
information to distributors catalogues etc. I don't think there is much to
come out of the 115,000 word text as submitted - the weekend before it went
off, it was at 124,000 and I thought it was really tight, until I got down
to serious editing :-)

Ian