HW: Monster Magnet, other rubbish, usw...

MrPotatoHead stemfors at PIPELINE.COM
Mon Apr 5 18:12:06 EDT 2004

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 14:17:33 EDT, Michael Gee <GHawkwind63 at AOL.COM> wrote:

>In a message dated 05/04/04 15:40:57 GMT Daylight Time,
>keith.henderson at PSI.CH writes:
>

>> .  And plus, the signs there have French given first, and German below,
>> which would seem to indicate that it's a Francophone city first and
>> foremost, but really it lies exactly on the so-called Roeschtigraben
>> that separates the two languages/cultures (ignoring the Italian part
>> south of the Alps for the moment).
>
>Is the Roeschtigraben a metaphorical divide or a real one? Sorry to ask
>but being married to a Swiss i have never heard of it. Thanks Gee...

Roeschtigraben = Potato-dish-ditch

I think its usually regarded as being on the Saane River, but its basically
metaphorical and represents the gap between the French-Swiss and German-
Swiss in political and social matters. On one side (German-Swiss) the
national potato dish is called Roesti, while on the other side its French
Fries. Actually its not French Fries, I just made that up, its a different
kind of potato stew which I don't remember the name of, but French Fries
has French in it and so...

Sorry about that,
Stephan