HW: More on Norwich Last Night

Nick Lee nick.lee2 at VIRGIN.NET
Mon Apr 19 14:10:08 EDT 2004

Pretty much a packed venue last night but not a good one.  Ceiling too
low for the projections to show, with no space for a screen to be
mounted and the stage too low for short-arses like myself to see too
much.

Huw was looking very healthy and on great form for his acoustic set.  He
opened with Pure Country(think that's the title, heard him play it many
times), then Solitary Mind Games, Rocky Paths and Hurry On Sundown (god
to hear, but it did seem to signal the HW wouldn't be playing it).
Hopefully we'll see him put an appearance in with the Hawks before the
tour's out.

A pretty quick turnaround saw HW take the stage.  Stripped down to a
three-piece tonight with Dave playing his Les Paul for those that are
interested in such things.  Alan is again doubling up keyboards and had
a pc hooked up in his equipment.   Angela Android was the opener with
strong vocals from Rich and the addition of a live drumming end section
rounded it off nicely.  The Assault & Battery/Golden Void/Where Are They
Now sequence followed next which was just strong as ever.  Alan's Out
Here We Are instrumental came next and worked much better than at the
Astoria where it didn't flow too well and many thought it was two
pieces, a nice mellow number before the band launched into a storming
version of Sword Of The East.  With Bedouin seemingly defunct (please
prove me wrong here, Alan!) I'd wondered whether this may make an
appearance in the HW set and a good heavy version it was too.  A very
version of the Right Stuff came next followed by the big surprise of the
evening, Psychedelic Warlords.  Very strong version, first time its been
played since Hawkestra.  Wings next followed I think by Spirit Of The
Age which featured a lot of very nice lead guitar from Dave.  A new
techno piece (I guess from the album but wouldn't like to guess which
from the titles available) lead us into Assassins of Allah followed by
Ejection to close the main set.
The band returned to play a cracking version of Brainstorm (again, not
heard since the Hawkestra and for me well due a revival).

Excellent sound quality, the band were firing on all cylinders.  Whether
it was the change of guitar or not I don't know but Dave's rhythm
playing seemed particularly heavy.  Could've done with a few more
numbers though and tight as the three piece sounded one or two songs
(Sword of the East for one) were crying out for some lead.
As HW tours usually improve as they go Salisbury should be a good one,
hopefully a bigger stage for the projections (Neil told me that was off
picking up more equipment for the show today), maybe a couple more songs
and perhaps a guest spot or two at least for Huwey?