HW RE: off into dodgy vinyl ness

Mike Montfort mikemont at NYCAP.RR.COM
Tue Apr 27 16:06:45 EDT 2004

I believe that if you google for pre-amps you can find what you are looking
for Jon

Michael Corwyn Montfort, esq.

http://corwyn.blogspot.com
the blog
http://www.mikemontfort.com
the website
_________________________
Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities.
The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly
submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously
uses his intelligence.
-- Albert Einstein

-----Original Message-----
From: BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List
[mailto:BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET]On Behalf Of Jon Jarrett
Sent: Tuesday, April 27, 2004 2:20 PM
To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET
Subject: Re: HW RE: off into dodgy vinyl ness

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, Paul Mather wrote:

> Now that vinyl is a niche market, and pretty much a collector's
> medium, the new vinyl releases tend to be very well pressed, often
> using virgin vinyl.  I've not had the benefit of hearing any (my
> turntable is many, many miles away), but I'd imagine such audiophile
> pressings would sound superb.

        I've got a couple of decent pressings (the Gates of Dawn releases
of Steven Wilson stuff most rapidly spring to mind) and they are rather
gorgeous, both in sound and as artefacts. I can tell I'm listening to
vinyl, partly because my stereo's turntable has a silly low output and
has to be turned up, so more line noise; but the vinyl surface noise I get
off something like my old Flicknife _Zones_ is fabulously absent.

        I'm curious as to this idea of recycled vinyl; what was it being
recycled from? Not old records surely!

        Oh, and while I'm on the subject, does anyone know if such things
as one-channel pre-amps are available which might solve my turntable
problem? Yours all,
                    Jon

ObCD-R: Mr Quimby's Beard - _Live in Milwaukee 19th October 2001_
--
                Jonathan Jarrett, Birkbeck College, London
    jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk/ejarr01 at students.bbk.ac.uk
  "As much as the vision of the blind man improves with the rising sun,
       So too does the intelligence of the fool after good advice."
       (Bishop Theodulf of Orleans, late-eight/early-ninth century)