So are they real?

Eric Siegerman erics at TELEPRES.COM
Thu Aug 5 15:11:16 EDT 2004

On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 05:28:59PM +0100, M Holmes wrote:
> Subject: Re: So are they real?
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
> ViewItem&rd=1&item=3830803072&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT
>
> Space Ritual platinum discs.

Depends what you mean by "real" :-)  I'm willing to believe
they're really platinum (even if the plating is only microns
thick), and done up nicely and all.  But are they the official
ones awarded to the band?  Not likely.  Ummm, did SR even go
platinum?  (I should know this of course!  But it seems I
don't...)

"This Award is a product of ~ UK MUSIC AWARDS.CO.UK ~
(Established for over 30 years)".

See http://www.ukmusicawards.co.uk/ -- the whole site, but
especially http://www.ukmusicawards.co.uk/hawk.html and
http://www.ukmusicawards.co.uk/info.html.

The description on eBay is a gem of deception.  They use the word
"original" four times, but three of them are only saying that
they used an actual copy of SR in the manufacture.

They even give the game away by describing the manufacturing
technique -- if these were the official award discs, who'd care
how they were made?  (If you were auctioning off the watch that
Hillary took to the summit of Everest, how much would it matter
whether it was a Rolex or a Timex?)

Their fourth use of the word is pretty dodgy:  "The original
platinum discs are mounted on ..."  That does seem to say that
these are the official pair, but I presume that, if challenged,
they'll claim that the phrase means no more than, again, that
it's original vinyl Space Ritual discs under the platinum
plating.

>From the "Info" page on their site:
    They are individually crafted & limited to between 1 and 10
    They are not mass produced, replica imported Awards.
Indeed not.  Instead, they would seem to be hand-crafted replica
domestic Awards.

Scumbags.

|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        erics at telepres.com
|  |  /
It must be said that they would have sounded better if the singer
wouldn't throw his fellow band members to the ground and toss the
drum kit around during songs.
        - Patrick Lenneau