The Awakening

John Rennie hawkfan at RATSAUCE.CO.UK
Wed Dec 1 11:50:19 EST 2004

My favourite version of the lyrics is the version of First Landing on Medusa
on Spacebrock (I think there are three songs those lyrics appear in). I love
the trance feel to it, and I prefer the electronic voice reciting the
lyrics. With lyrics like that it's dangerously easy to sound pretentious if
you read them in a normal voice.

I like covers that try and keep the spirit of the original but bring a new
twist to it (I'm the one who liked the Scissor Sisters version of
Comfortably Numb :-). Dave's version on Spacebrock isn't especially
innovative in musical terms but it does bring a new feel to the track.

I'm sure First Landing on Medusa has appeared on albums other than
Spacebrock, and a demo on Wierd Tapes 7, but I can't think which. Does
anyone know?

JR

-----Original Message-----
From: BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List
[mailto:BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET]On Behalf Of Jade man
Sent: 01 December 2004 15:47
To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET
Subject: The Awakening

I wondered if you might enjoy my attempt
at trying to recreate the sounds and atmosphere
of the original Space Ritual 1972. It would be
fun to try to cover the whole album, but that
remains to be seen!

http://members.shaw.ca/filiz/awakening.htm

Best