HW: Psi Power single version

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Wed Dec 15 17:00:16 EST 2004

... similar to the "Kings Of Speed" discussion from a while back ...

I'm convinced that the single version of "Psi Power", unlike the single
version of "25 Years", is the same *recording* as the album version, but
the *mix* is different, and it has been edited in several places.  I
haven't tried to chart out all the mix differences yet, but they're
apparent starting from the intro (where the album version just has the
acoustic guitar track, but the single version also adds that synchopated
one-note electric guitar track).  So there are definitely alternate guitar
tracks used, and some of the fx-processing (like the backwards delay on
the vocals) sounds different between the two versions.

As for the edits, both versions start with:
8-bar intro (0.14)
verse 1 (0.27)
chorus 1 (0.25)
8-bar intro (0.14)
verse 2 (0.27)

... here's where things change.  The LP version includes a full second
chorus (0.25), followed by another 8-bar intro (0.14).  The single version
includes only the beginning of the second chorus (0.15) with the "Psi
Power" harmony vocals, but cutting out before the actual chorus ("I can
read your mind like a magazine..."), going straight to the keyboard solo
bridge.

Both versions include the full keyboard solo (0.21), which is followed by
the trumpet solo.  The LP version contains the full trumpet solo (0.28),
while the single version cuts it in half (0.14).

After that, both versions are the same for:
chorus 3 (0.25)
8-bar intro (0.14)
verse 3 (0.27)
chorus 4 (0.25)

The LP version then includes another 8-bar intro (0.14) that's edited out
of the single version.  Both versions then end with a fadeout on the
keyboard solo.  The single version fades out quickly, in about 15 seconds,
while the album version runs over a minute (and actually ends cold on that
echoed "wha-happen" statement).

To recap:
8-bar intro (0.14)
verse 1 (0.27)
chorus 1 (0.25)
8-bar intro (0.14)
verse 2 (0.27)
chorus 2 (LP: 0.25, 7": 0.15) ***
8-bar intro (0.14 - LP version only) ***
keyboard solo/bridge (0.21)
trumpet solo (LP: 0.28, 7": 0.14) ***
chorus 3 (0.25)
8-bar intro (0.14)
verse 3 (0.27)
chorus 4 (0.25)
8-bar intro (0.14 - LP version only) ***
keyboard solo/fade (LP: 1.03, 7": 0.15)

The album version runs 6.05, and can be found on several CD's.  The single
version runs 4.25 (10 seconds from chorus 2 + 2x 14 second 8-bar intros +
extra 14 seconds on trumpet solo + extra 50 seconds of fade = 0.10 + 0.28
+ 0.14 + 0.50 = 1min 42sec, which accounts for the difference in length),
and has never been released on CD, only on the 'Repeat Performance' LP
(along with the US & UK 7"s and the US 12").  Hopefully,
if/when 'Hawklords/25 Years On' is reissued on CD, the single version will
be included as a bonus track (as with "Lord of Light" on Doremi,
and "You'd Better Believe It", "Psychedelic Warlords" & "Paradox" on
HotMG, EMI reissues).

My question: can someone who owns the US 7" with an even-shorter edit of
the single version determine what has been edited out for that version?
(Or send me a tape/CD-R so I can figure it out for myself?)

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com