Cambridge Friday 13th

Fri Dec 17 10:19:41 EST 2004

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004, Henderson Keith wrote:

> Jon suggested...
> >I would recommend either Tha Bath, though not without a certain
> >amount of pain becauses it got horribly modernised not so long ago, but as
> >a Hogshead will do halfway decent beer and food in the *ruins* of what
> >used to be a sixteenth-century building. Just down the street from it
> >(this being Bene't Street, which joins onto Corn Exchange Street) is the
> >Eagle where Dawson and Crick reputedly worked out DNA, and that's bigger,
> >has food but also had Greene King beer (and not kept well enough to get
> >away with it) and bouncers. I suppose however the Eagle may be the best
> >bet.
>
> I see it's an IPA, which I miss a great deal (the Ami's make good pale ales
> IMHO...even in Columbus!!), because the Swiss don't seem to know how to make
> 'em at *all*.  And I don't live in a town big enough to have any specialty
> import stores.  Only on trips to Zuerich or Basel, I'm afraid.

        Greene King IPA might be best avoided, though I'm told there are
places that can do it OK. The Eagle is sadly not one of these...

> Anyway, I'm game for this Eagle place, if we can get in.  I guess there's
> only a few here on boc-l who are going to Cambs. for the gig Friday?  Is
> there any interest in making a firm plan, or just acting on our own and see
> what happens?  I'll likely meet up with Jon no matter what, and I suppose
> that means we'll run into Carl at some point...but don't know about the
> others.

        Right, for any reading not otherwise organised into a group,
*some* of us will be in the Eagle from about 6:30 at least, and more
arriving after that in probably one or two instalments.

> P.S.  What's the status of smoking bans/proposals in pubs/etc. in the UK?

        Imminent but not yet through the legislature, and then only
affecting places that serve food. But that' smost of them as the
profit margin is so much better than on beer. Yours,
                                                     Jon
--
                Jonathan Jarrett, Birkbeck College, London
    jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk/ejarr01 at students.bbk.ac.uk
  "As much as the vision of the blind man improves with the rising sun,
       So too does the intelligence of the fool after good advice."
       (Bishop Theodulf of Orleans, late-eight/early-ninth century)