HW: Astoria Gig

Jill Strobridge jill at THETA-ORIONIS.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Sat Jan 3 18:22:58 EST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "M Holmes" <fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK>

> Iain Ferguson writes:
>
> > how were the Astoria Police as pleasant as ever ?
>
> When we went in, they were refusing entry to some guy because they
> thought "he looked too drunk".
> Certainly I can see that they probably don't get too many drunk people
> there when they're charging L3.30 for a measly can of Worthingtons.

which is probably why he had already consumed as much as possible before
attempting to get into the place.   As I recall they were advising that
he should try coming back later on when he'd sobered up a bit!    I'm
also glad to hear that some folk managed to charm (?) their way into the
Club after the gig!

I agree the flow of the gig was a bit disjointed so the energy that was
built up dropped down a level and had to be regained but it was a
Festival occasion - a celebration - a time for just doing things without
the need to make them perfect!    There was loads of energy there as
well as some interesting introspection - so it wasn't an all-out intense
experience but it didn't need to be.

And I was delighted that Huw was looking so recovered - I confess I was
very concerned about him last time he appeared and even feared he might
not return.    Thank goodness he did.    And it was absolutely right he
appeared in the middle of the set - it gave the band a chance to relax
and it meant the *whole* audience was there to hear him - just as it
should be.    Had he come on at the beginning then folk would have
drifted distractingly in and out and perhaps not been ready to pay
attention.    His was an excellent acoustic set - well played - it
merited everyone's full attention and, yeah, I was impressed!     Lena
Lovich was rather good I thought though with the request, please, that
rather than keep on repeating the chorus - endlessly - over and over....
she could just stand back a bit and let the music speak - there are
times in Hawkwind when you need vocals and times when you don't - I'm
not sure that she'd picked up on the latter.

Anyhow - I enjoyed it - and it was a great start to the Festive season!

A Happy New Year to all
jill