Guitars (more Geek Speak)

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Tue Jul 13 14:56:29 EDT 2004

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 14:42:16 +0100, Carl Edlund Anderson <cea at CARLAZ.COM>
wrote:

>Keith Barton wrote:
>> Dunno, best ask a bass player. Epiphone guitars can be very good so I
>> assume it's a similar case with their basses.
>
>I've never played an Epiphone bass, that I recall, but the late Allen
>Woody (of Gov't Mule) was a big fan of Epiphone basses and quite a
>bassist, so Ep basses can't have been that bad! :)

The only Epiphone bass I've played (just in the store) was the Jack
Cassady signature model (a hollow-body Guild Starfire-style bass with
weird pickup-impedance selector knob), which was definitely quite nice.
The general rule-of-thumb for "budget" lines (budget: Epiphone/ major:
Gibson, or budget: Squier/ major: Fender) - and often the major lines,
too - is that they tend to have cheap hardware (which can usually be
upgraded easily, especially with "standard" models like Strats & Les Pauls
& P basses), and tend to be of uneven workmanship.  So the most important
thing is to try them out.  If it plays well, buy it!  If not, try another
of the same model and maybe it'll play better.

>BTW: Hi all.  I thought this was a good moment to delurk :)  I used to
>be active on BOC-L some years back and just resubscribed from a current
>address recently :)

Hi Carl, Welcome back!  Where are you located these days?

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com