Hawkwind gig review BURG HERZBERG 17.07.2004

Nick Lee nick.lee2 at VIRGIN.NET
Tue Jul 20 15:01:10 EDT 2004

Definitely a very good weekend, despite the weather which was truly
biblical at times.  On Saturday night it managed to go from 0 to force
10 in a few seconds!
The weather had stayed fine on Friday though and Mr Quimby's Beard
played a cracking set.  Very similar to the Sonic Chillout set but
tighter, the sound was excellent and they got a great reception from the
crowd.
Though it may have soaked people through it certainly didn't dampen
their spirits.  There was a great crowd for Hawkwind who played an
excellent set.
Very similar to the spring tour but with the addition The Watcher and
Angels of Death in place of Angela Android and Wings.  Dave was out
front for most of the set (playing the Les Paul again for those that are
interested).  Though I'm still not sure about the amount of sequencing
being used now that it comes from Alan's side of the stage it certainly
seems to leave Dave free to play a lot more lead guitar and experiment
with 'live' effects, and Dave was certainly on fire on Saturday.  From
where I was stood the sound seemed fine, I was near the front and more
to Dave's side of the stage so I probably wasn't placed to hear the
sound problems Mike could hear.  Could've been a bit longer though at
barely 90 minutes but they were on an hour late and with another band to
follow.  The audience didn't seem to want to hear that there was to be
no second encore and the poor MC didn't really stand a chance against
their shouts while a very sheepish looking Mr Barton had to start taking
down the Baron's equipment.
A very sociable festival all in all with a great atmosphere, reminiscent
of a larger Hawkfest or maybe Treworgey, the sort of festival we don't
have too many of over here any more.
Good to catch up with lots of people from the list and crew as well.
I'd probably consider going back to this one, despite the distance, even
without HW on the bill.

Nick