Hawkwind on Matthew Wright

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Sat Jul 31 14:30:56 EDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-07-31 at 12:28, Steve Youles wrote:
> This video clip requires an older component called audio codec 75 which is
> not included with recent versions of Windows Media Player.  I have version
> 6.4 installed and got it to work by going into IE; Tools; Internet Options
> and temporarily enabling downloading of unsigned ActiveX components.
> (Change this setting back again after success!).  Then I played the clip
> again in WMP 6.4 and it downloaded the codec, and played the clip with
> sound.

Ironically, my FreeBSD/i386 desktop system plays this clip without any
problems using mplayer with the multimedia/win32-codecs port installed:

bash-2.05b$ mplayer | head -6
MPlayer 1.0pre5-3.3.3 (C) 2000-2004 MPlayer Team

CPU: Intel Pentium II Klamath/Pentium II OverDrive 301.2 MHz (Family: 6, Stepping: 4)
Detected cache-line size is 32 bytes
Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX
bash-2.05b$ pkg_info | grep win32
win32-codecs-2.1.0.p5,1 Huge compilation of Win32 binary codecs, including MPEG-4(D

(I thought I might have problems when I saw the M$ .asf extension...)

Cheers,

Paul.
e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

        --- Frank Vincent Zappa