Black Sabbath: Born Again

nick at THECOMPLETESHEET.COM nick at THECOMPLETESHEET.COM
Tue Jun 8 15:56:35 EDT 2004

I've long been a defender of Born Again, where so many others have not.  I bought it when it came out myself. . . I was 13 or 14 at the time.  And I loved it instantly.

Over time, the flaws became obvious. . . especially the production, which is probably the worst I've ever heard on a major label release.  And, of course, there was the outrage among both the Sabbath and Purple camps, neither of whom could accept this union.  And let's not mention the whole "Stonehenge" debacle. . . although without it, "This Is Spinal Tap" would have been without one of its funniest and most enduring bits.

I enjoy this album anyway.  And I was reminded of "Trashed" just the other day, while reading a news item that Gillan had lost his license for driving under the influence.  Oh well.

Somebody actually has a fan site dedicated to the brief Gillan-Sabbath era.  It's here. . .

home.swipnet.se/sabbath83/

--Nick