HW RE: site for collectors CDr dodgy ness ?

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Mon Mar 1 15:36:04 EST 2004

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 16:56:40 -0000, David Dobbie <david.dobbie at BT.COM>
wrote:
>Thanx for all your replies
>
>I think you managed to understand my bit about record grades
>I wrote
> > Always been dubious of NM, what does it mean surely a record is mint
> > or e mean near mint?
>
>I think I was trying to say its either mint or it isn't. I think I
>would except a record as mint if it looks perfect eg not the slitest
>bit of grime, scratch or worn looking grooves. I get fed up with Mint,
>NM or M- gradings. that could only be EX or even worse I only buy
>these if the price is right. Allways been wary of Vinyl mail order,
>thats a scary world of crackles, scratches and drop outs. How do you
>know if a record has never been palyed and that doesn't allways mean
>its perfect I got Live Chronicles 2xLP on GWR / Profile still in
>unopened shrink wrap its way crackly good job it only cost me about
>£2 so thats cool.

Ah, yes.  You bring up an excellent point about some "mint" records.  The
fact is, most UK record pressings (especially indie releases) from the
80's absolutely SUCK.  I think that every Hawkwind album I bought new on
Flicknife or GWR was noisy and crackly straight out of the shrinkwrap.

But with respect to vinyl grading - one way to keep from getting burned is
to frequent the same dealer, so you know what to expect from his/her
grading system.  Dealers who continually mis-represent condition will
(hopefully) eventually lose their customers because of it.

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com