HW: Worldcon Boston - David Hardy and more!

Rich cosmicdolphin at COMCAST.NET
Tue Sep 7 09:33:57 EDT 2004

We've just returned from Worldcon (World Science Fiction Convention) in
Boston which was an interesting weekend:

David A Hardy (Rear Cover Artist for 'Hall of the Mountain Grill')probably
Britains best known Space Artist, did a nice long video presentation about
the History of Space Art, and later in the Con they did an in depth
interview with him, where it turned out that he's a biker and into Heavy
Rock ;-)No Hawkwind anecdotes, but there is a bit in his book 'Hardyware'
He was kind enough to sign my copy of Hall of the Mountain Grill, and is
very modest about his fantastic space art.

Also we ended up chatting to bunches of hawkwind fans through the weekend,
strangely there seems to be a crossover with SF fans, who would have thought
;-)

Strangest Bit of Hawkwind Synchronicity though.  We were in the dealers
room, and one of the dealers bounded over enthusiastically when he saw our
hawkwind T Shirts.

It turned out to be Rob Godwin who used to run Griffin records, and wrote
the Hawkwind Collectors Guide. What a sweet guy, he chatted to us for a
nearly an hour about the band, Griffin Records, and what he's up to since
Griffin folded. He is a true fan.

Unbelievably he now runs a publishing company that puts out space
books/multimedia in association with NASA and others, called:
 Apogee books (http://www.cgpublishing.com/splash.htm)

One of the first books that he did had a dedication to Dave, Bob and others.

Apparently there is actually a rocket scientist over here in the US called
Dave Brock ;-)

Anyway if you get the chance to go to a worldcon do it, a fantastic weekend,
and the next one is in Glasgow early August next year, we've just confirmed
our booking and hotels so we will be there Heres the link:
http://www.interaction.worldcon.org.uk/

Rich