HW: Motorhead/Warrior CD Question

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Thu Sep 9 05:45:26 EDT 2004

eddie jobson wrote:
> OFF: BTW the band were commenting at the stage of the book I am at that it
> is difficult to get a full sound as a 3 piece. Rush seem to have mastered
> this as they did a very good 3 hour set at Wembley last night.

Hmmm, yes, Rush, the Jimi Hendrix Experience, Cream, Mountain (in the
sans keys configuration), Led Zeppelin, Gov't Mule (in the Woody days),
Black Sabbath (albeit with occasional stealth keys live) .... all
essentially three-piece bands and, as I'm sure everyone is aware, famous
for failing to produce a full sound ....

... or not ;)

But, agreed, it is _easier_ with an extra instrument or two -- and most
of the artists I name check there at least toy(ed) with added keys
players -- though then the money has to be split more ways ;)  Yet
surely the ideal line-up for HW is guitar/bass/drums/violin/audio
generators?  That covers pretty much everything, I think.  (I'm not
counting sax, since putting Nik and Dave together is like cats and dogs,
really :)  Failing the violin, and keyboardist would do there,
especially if they could handle audio generator duties as well (thus
reducing the need to split the money into an extra share :)

IMO, HW don't need a "front man".  Whether he likes it or not, all the
punters consider Dave the "front man", so he might as well stand where
people can see him and get in some singing and guitar slashing.  Alan
can manage extra vocal duties well enough (especially when he isn't
trying to emulate Lemmy's voice ...).  Shoot, how hard can it be to be
Hawkwind on stage, really?  If a bunch of drug-crazed freaks could
manage it that well 30 years ago, surely it must be possible to pull off
today?

Cheers,
Carl, who just received _Monolithic Baby_ at long last and is looking
forward to putting it through its paces :)

--
Carl Edlund Anderson
http://www.carlaz.com/