HW: Motorhead/Warrior CD Question

eddie jobson eddiejobson at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 9 05:12:05 EDT 2004

The obvious differences I know of is the Griffin CD version I have obviously
has Lemmy singing and the Anthology has Dave (doing it better in my
opinion). I believe they are same but it mentioned in Ian's book that Dave
did the original vocals in the studio and that was released on Flicknife
later but Lemmy's one went out still after he recorded it at the Hyatt Hotel
with Allan Powell? The difference I noticed is not only the rolling bit in
the Dave one, but the Anthology seems to have cleaned it up for disc as you
don't get the bit of guitar feedback you get on the vinyl 7 and 12"
versions.

OFF: BTW the band were commenting at the stage of the book I am at that it
is difficult to get a full sound as a 3 piece. Rush seem to have mastered
this as they did a very good 3 hour set at Wembley last night. They even
sneaked in a Who number, Eddie Cochran and a few chords of Day Tripper. In
my opinion the tightest live performance I have seen since seeing Pink Floyd
a few years ago.

Eddie.

>From: Alan Linsley <alankerren at YAHOO.CO.UK>
>To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET
>Subject: Re: HW: Motorhead/Warrior CD Question
>Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 20:54:58 +0100
>
>I have both discs, just played them in parallel (2 CD players, cued 'em
>up, switching between sources on the amp) and they are absolutely
>identical.
>
>Now what *does* sound different is the two *demo* versions of
>Motorhead.  I compared the Flicknife version - I was using the Mighty
>HW Classics CD - with the later Anthology version - using the Anthology
>Vol II CD.  Apart from the obvious edits (the Flicknife version has the
>engineer confirming that the tape is "rolling" at the beginning,
>Anthology doesn't, Anthology fades at the end, Flicknife doesn't), the
>sound on the Flicknife version is poor compared to the Anthology
>version.  If they're both taken from the source tape, squirrelled away
>by Brock in '75 soon after it was recorded, then why do they sound so
>different?  Maybe it's the transfer to CD, must try comparing to the
>vinyl versions.  Or maybe I should just get a life.  Anyway, the
>difference is particularly evident on the synth solo, where it's very
>distorted on the Flicknife version.  And btw, don't tell me those
>synths are '75, they've got to be overdubbed.  C'mon Doug P, chip in
>here... ;-)
>
>But, with ubergeek mode fully on, the main discrepancy is that "yo"
>that Brock put on the Anthology version @ 2:41 (or just forgot to take
>off?).  Anybody else ever notice it's not on the Flicknife version?
>
>AL
>  --- Rich <cosmicdolphin at COMCAST.NET> wrote:
> > I heard that the mixes of Motorhead on the Dojo and Griffin CDs of
> > Warrior
> > are slightly different, can anyone with both CDs confirm this.
> > The Codex doesn't mention an alternate.
> >
> > Bernhard?
> >

> > Rich

>Messenger - all new features - even more fun!
>http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

Want to rent a quality villa in the Algarve?
http://ejdvillas.com