OFF: New film 'bout Bob "Mini" Moog + a book to read

Nick Medford nickmedford at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Feb 12 18:52:06 EST 2005

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 14:59:32 -0500, Alastair Sumner
<alastair_sumner at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:

>Does Tomita get a mention in the book? As a teenager in the 80s I got into
>synths and I used to read a magazine called Electronics and Music Maker.
>Isao Tomita used to get mentioned regularly, along with Tangerine Dream and
>Wendy Carlos etc, for the incredible sounds he created. In my mind the guy
>is a kind of synth Grandmaster but he rarely gets a mention these days.
>Most people seem to see Kraftwerk as sole pioneers of electronic music,
>probably because of the all-enveloping influence of dance music in the 90s.
>I think this is a mistake.

It depends just how pioneering you mean- I think the true pioneers of
electronic music were considerably earlier figures. Filip mentioned Morton
Subotnick who would certainly qualify. Ali, going by this thread and other
conversations we've had, I suspect you'd be fascinated by a comp called
"Early Modulations: Vintage Volts", there's a bit about it here:

http://www.lafolia.com/archive/covell/covell200004caiprirnha.html

Nick