NIK - Space Ritual

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Thu Jul 21 15:45:53 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-21 at 19:57 +0100, Alan Taylor wrote:
> "The true spirit of Hawkwind".  Ocht, you know Stephe,  it's that good
> ole thing where everyone plays for free, the drugs are abundant, anyone
> can play whatever they want, whenever and wherever they want, there's no
> fighting and bickering, there's no arguments about who never got paid
> and so on.  Just a stick for Turner to hit Brock with.

And, apparently, now a stick to hit Turner with.  ("Nah, we never really
liked those free-form acid daze; that's not real Hawkwind...")

If Nik and co. want to be the Dark Star Orchestra of the Hawkwind scene
then good luck to them.  I'm sure they float someone's boat.
(Personally, I think there probably *is* a niche market in "recreating"
the early Hawkwind sound, but I suspect Space Ritual lack the
musicianship[*] and, more importantly, the energy to do it really well.)

I admit I did chuckle at people decrying "heresy!" at the mere thought
of Space Ritual doing what they are doing, mainly because I remember
most folks creaming themselves when the Hawkestra event was announced,
and the attendant possibility of a "Lemmy-era" mini-set...

Cheers,

Paul (deftly trying to avoid the True Hawkwind religious wars)

[*] Because people usually want to recreate the myth rather than the
reality, with rough edges sanded down.
e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

        --- Frank Vincent Zappa