NIK: Space Ritual - Live at the Venusian Electric Ballroom

Drill drill.0010.1011.1100 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jun 30 05:04:33 EDT 2005

On 5/4/05, Reptoid <prabbit at gowebway.com> wrote:
> Ah yes, the Milky Way in Boston...
>
> <<<Saw Nik in Boston last October, there were 5 people there!
>
> I seem to recall that there were a few more there, maybe 25-30.

A few were regulars at the Milky Way I think. I was so angry because
there was an article in the Boston globe with a Picture announcing the
concert in the arts section. And Hawkind gets airplay every now and
then on college stations, and a few good friends of mine who listen to
them didn't make it when I rode 50 miles to get there upon notice.

We had a
> good time anyway.

Yeah I sure did. Crazy, after getting kicked out for half the show I
get to hang out with the band, totally unnexpected things all night.
Thank YOU for coming, it wasn't deserved!

But if anyone would have told me that we'd draw well
> over twice the crowd in DC that we would in Boston, I'd have asked for
> some of what they were smoking...come to think of it, I'd just ask anyway.
> Thought the venue was cool enough atmosphere wise. The sound was loud and
> boomy to say the least!
>
> <<<Spaceseed also had reasons to get amused by the callous
> robots/pissy-student-employees at that place.
>
> Yeah, they were less than helpful compared to some of the other venues.
> Kitchen closed waaaay too early and it was even a hassle to get a drink at
> certain points.
> Still had a pretty groovy time, it was nice to see Kris Thompson, Dan
> Parmenter, and a few other familiar faces.
> We'll be back in Boston Oct. 2nd with Harvey Bainbridge, not sure of the
> venue just yet. See you again!

Do it yes. I'll go promoting the damn show myself and try to revive a
dysfunctional syndicate, Autocorp,  if your light show can get
anybetter with more projectors, strobes, microwave weapons et. all.
Yours to use. I've been into trying out ideas for lightshow equipment
lately- think of this: materials from roman candles and such fried up
in high voltage electrical arcs- I was doing this  in a reflective box
with a 5" lense from an old video projector. Killer! Innexpensive too
if you have the lense and you know the reflector from a large strobe
light is probably better anyway. Know a great reflector? Smash some
mirrors and glue the pieces to a satellite dish. The color wheel from
a horrible fiber optic christmas tree- but t removed and put inside a
polished stainless steal cheese grater...sigh...Why am I broke if I
have so many ideas. The Solar Fire lightshow is the best I've seen
quite honestly, but also one of the only. I wouldn't be caught dead at
a Pink Floyd stadium concert and don't know even if they have anything
that creative.