NIK: Space Ritual - Live at the Venusian Electric Ballroom

Drill drill.0010.1011.1100 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jun 30 04:45:42 EDT 2005

On 5/4/05, Stephan Forstner <stemfors at pipeline.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 3 May 2005 22:04:44 -0400, Drill <drill.0010.1011.1100 at GMAIL.COM>
> wrote:
> >1980 and 2000? Undisclosed Files addendum is easily the most played of
> >my official Hawkwind live album collection. Also, I don't care what
> >anyone says Live Chronicles is really good
>
> I'm just talking about the SR tunes on them (Master of the Universe, the
> Brainstorm bit, Orgone Accumulator, and, if you stretch it a bit, Magnu and
> Ejection). They don't have the right aura to them - they're too punk, too
> metal, most of all too fast - they have a sort of *frantic* feel to them.
> I've got no problem with HW re-inventing their catalog, in fact they SHOULD
> do it, but even though they fit in with the style of the time, I don't
> think that particular approach suits these particular tracks. They're
> looking over their shoulder to see what's coming up on them, but they
> should be lumbering along knowing where they're going and in no rush to get
> there because there's nothing that could possibly get in their way. Just
> MHO.
>
> Stephan

Oh yeah I get that I like that whole concert in the whole though, wish
I was there...Okay, at the end of Angels of Death, what the hell? Did
Nik take a mic into the toilet?!

That sound they have right then thats captured in undisclosed files
addendum is interesting. I'm really into ICU and even the Toy Dolls so
an  energetic kind of punk sound is right on my page, ( With the Toy
Dolls though its funny because so many people can't stand them-
however if you really think about it their musical
conscientiousness/complexity/skill/engineering is top notch, same with
ICU- and listening closely to the Toy Dolls its all Iron Maiden like
galloping guitars, JBach covers, Viking sea chants etc. But the accent
of Olga the singer alone makes nearly anyone think of their sound as
the representational "punk". It is all as it is, I would never say I
like punk even though that's the category of half the bands I like.
It's a troublesome association thing that goes back to high school
cliques
 presumably.

--
Rotary Clench Mars Human Exchange & Suicide Program

- Kill All Humans