OFF: What is Classic Rock???

Alex S. Garcia asg at MVDBASE.COM
Sun May 22 23:39:50 EDT 2005

> So how DO we define classic rock?  I'm curious what everybody else thinks.

I think we tend to idealize the term and think of it too often as the rock
from the 70's. Perhaps because it's what we listen to the most, or grew up
listening, or whatnot.

Radio stations though need to evolve. They can't play 70's stuff forever on a
classic rock station (at least they can't play JUST that forever).

So I think it would be more reasonable to say that 'classic rock' should be
any rock song from the past that has had some some of influence and/or
mediatic success at one point or another.

It *would* have to be rock though, obviously, or it would defeat the whole
purpose... so Steve Winwood or Phil Collins do seem quite out of context --
even if connections to classic rock can be drawn in both cases, but that
would be quite a stretch... I'm sure that's probably the logic behind those
artists getting aired though (if there is any logic to be found at all... oh
scratch that, let's say 'excuse' rather then 'logic', lol).

Anyway, that's my two cents.

Alex.
Progressive rock : prog.xrs.net / rip.xrs.net