HW: album slagging

pete howe sunboxhouse at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 7 05:39:08 EDT 2006

I read that the Record Company had completely lost touch, and Dave said that
theyd even asked them to do a cover of Bowies" Space Oddity"(see Ian
Abrahams book).
Personally i think the reworking of  the song S.A, and S.M(on C.Y.M.) are
just plain horrible and you have to ask..WHY??Modernising S.O.T.A.(and
Paradox) was far more understandable..although personally,i still prefer the
original version of S.O.T.A.
Re Sonic Attack..Rocky paths is superb..Angels of Death WOULD be superb if
theyd cranked up Daves guitar a bit..dont like "coded languages" (Moococks
vocals ..ermm...)..and Streets of Fear, Daves riff sounds too much like
Magnu.But the production sound is far superior than that on C.Y.M.,which is
muddy with Daves guitar even lower in the mix,and only redeemed by the
classic "arrival in Utopia"..Even on the reasonable Fahrenheit 451, the riff
sounds like a reworking of 25 years on./silver machine type progression..it
was  the start of the "album filler" period, i think, which went right
through the 80s.
In the middle of those 2 albums came the interesting Church of Hawkwind,of
course, with its great booklet artwork-"Nuclear Drive" is a hugely
under-rated track, i think..
By the way,ive got the rare 10" x8"softback lyric book, released at that
time,(green cover, great artwork), little bit scruffy- worn spine,couple of
creases to cover, but pretty good condition.. if anyones interested(lots of
wrong lyrics, though.."Flying doctor" seems to have had a politically
correct makeover done on it!) ..and Daves message that part two will follow
in a few years(i dont think it ever did!)..along with a rare sticker sheet
of album covers, issued at the same time..all from Hawkfan, i believe..
     pete