OFF: The Weller/Kilmister controversy

Tue Dec 5 14:28:18 EST 2006

On Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 04:39:26PM -0800, Keith Henderson typed out:
>   P.P.S.  So, is The Jam/Paul Weller "80s" dreck, or not?  1977 is not
>   the worst year to have been "born"...so it could go either way.  I'm
>   a fan of the Police and Talking Heads, after all.

	Just reading that gave me Police tunes in the head, which goes
to show their power :-) I was reflecting the other day on one of the
rare occasions that I've spun the Lloyd Langton Group's _Like An Arrow_
on how much the first song on that sounds like an attempt to sound like
The Police. Difference is that The Police had an *excellent* rhythm
section and an indifferent guitarist, whereas the LLG had it pretty much
the other way round...

>   P.P.P.S.  Sunn O))) is realllly bad, too.  Why does anybody like
>   this nonsense?  When are they going to stop tuning their guitars,
>   warming up their amplifiers, and play some actual f*cking music?

	Come on Keith, you could say the same about Tangerine Dream or
any number of Krautrock or improv. bands :-) I take Sunn 0))) (now just
Sunn, I believe) as atmospheric noiserather than music. That said, it's
only with the second album and collaborations with Merzbow that it
became something I wanted to listen to more than once. I gather their
stage show is sillily dramatic, Satanic costumes and so on, which given
how little they actually *do* seems somehow out of kilter. But I have
not seen this, and I don't think I'm likely to leap at the chance
somehow. They're not very exciting to me, but I think there is a point
to it all just the same. Yours,
				Jon

ObCD: Clutch - _Blast Tyrant_
--
"When fortune wanes, of what assistance are quantities of elephants?"
	    (Juvaini, Afghan Muslim chronicler, c. 1206)
 Jon Jarrett, Fitzwilliam Museum, jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk