OFF: The Weller/Kilmister controversy

Tue Dec 5 17:49:05 EST 2006

On Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 04:20:07PM -0800, Keith Henderson typed out:

>   Anyway, it's all been quite educational, thank you.  And to AndyG
>  and the rest of you who wonder how some of us (?) are clueless about
>  the Jam...all the comments about them at YouTube/elsewhere seem to be
>  something like "Criminally unknown in the US/outside the UK."  So The
>  Jam is just obviously one of those bands that just never made it to
>  the US for whatever reason.  Just like Status Quo and Slade (although
>  Slade had one hit album in c. 1983, way after their "prime").  Last
>  year, I remember from a biography of John Peel's life that I had read
>  (not his autobiography which was released shortly after his death),
>  that his personal "theme song" was something called "Teenage Kicks"
>  (I think) by some band I'd never heard of.  And also of course, this
>  soccer song (that I am not sure I've even ever heard...despite having
>  attended European soccer matches on occasion) "You'll Never Walk
>  Alone" (by who?) and being struck that popularity between US and UK
>  is not as homogenized as one might have thought.

	Ooh, I bet you have heard `You'll Never Walk Alone' you know.
Have you got a copy of Pink Floyd's _Meddle_? If you dig it out, and put
`Fearless' on, it's right there at the end, sung by some football crowd
or other and properly credited to Rodgers and Hammerstein :-) Yours,
								     Jon

ObCD: Starfield - _Return to Earth_
--
"When fortune wanes, of what assistance are quantities of elephants?"
	    (Juvaini, Afghan Muslim chronicler, c. 1206)
 Jon Jarrett, Fitzwilliam Museum, jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk