Deb Frost is metal

Stephen Swann swann at PLUTONIA.COM
Sat Feb 4 00:50:29 EST 2006

On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 09:45:44AM -0500, blackblade at BHALLIGAN.COM wrote:
> Stephen Swann wrote:
>
> > I just had to say that.  There are so few women in
> > metal these days (or were at any other time, for that
> > matter), and of those few, too many  have just been
> > poster kittens with no interest in music.  At the
> > Delancey on Saturday, Deb was TOTALLY ROCKING OUT to
> > some of the heaviest new tracks I have heard in years.
>
> I like to think of her as the band's middle finger. ;-)

LOL, if you had been at the pyramid club gig 10 years
ago, you would never doubt that statement.  ;-)

But seriously, it just suddenly struck me during the
gig on Saturday that Deb is one of the few women heavy
metalists I have ever seen who is actually *all about
the music*.  Watching her laying down those bone-
crushing guitar riffs with no posturing or bullshit--
it was just all about "Let's drive this song home like
a 10 inch spike".  Wow.  The only other woman I've seen
who was as obviously music-obsessed was Helen Wheels,
who I saw at the Cellsum music show years ago.  I don't
know what I was really expecting from her, especially
since she *did* have a bit of that silly leather-kitten
look about her, but she fucking blew me away with her
songs.  Now it's not hard to see what Deb found in
common with her.

> > Hey, Al told me personally that he thought my one-line
> > review of Eponymous was a classic.
>
> Could you repeat that review for those of us with deteriorating memories?

Errrr...  <checks to see if Deb is accrying anythign sharp>...
I believe it went something like:
"It's jazzy.  It's funky.  It's rappin'.  It sucks."

Like I said, that was based on first impression, and
has long since been retracted.  I really love a bunch
of songs from the first album ('Time', 'Monster',
'Tomorrow'), and wish that some of them would make it
back into concert rotation.

Steve