HW: Latest Voiceprint blurb...

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Thu Jun 15 10:33:11 EDT 2006

On 15/06/2006 15:04, David Kuznick wrote:
> Quoting Carl Edlund Anderson <cea at CARLAZ.COM>:
>> Cheers,
>> Carl (who looks forward to someday hearing the 5.1 track on _The
>> Grateful Dead Movie_ DVDs, though the new stereo mix is pretty good!).
>
> There are actually two different 5.1 mixes on it.  One of them is the original
> theatrical one, and there was a new one made specifically for the DVD.

Ah, yes, I'd forgotten they'd stuck the theatrical mix on there.  (Not
being able to hear either!).

> The
> theatrical one is kind of weird and has some level and delay problems IMO
> (possibly it needs to be calibrated differently for a home theater system).  I
> need to try the new one, I'm guessing it's better (in fact I think the bonus
> material is the new 5.1 mix and it was definitely better).  But yes, the stereo
> mixes on many of the Dead DVD's are excellent (like the View From the Vaults).

The stereo mix on the GD Movie was redone at the same time as the new
5.1 mix and has fabulous separation and clarity.  I've not heard/seen
the View from the Vault discs, but I remember the sound on the
Winterland DVD seeming pretty decent (though, honestly, I didn't really
think the band's performance was so fab).

(The Zeppelin DVD has 5.1 and stereo as well, I believe.  Obviously,
I've not heard the 5.1 but I understand it's excellent.  And the stereo
mix ain't bad at all :)

> And the extra bonus tracks on the second disc are FAR superior to the original
> movie tracks IMO.  I mean, look at this tracklisting:
> Uncle John’s Band; Sugaree; The Other One>Spanish Jam>Mind Left Body Jam>The
> Other One; Scarlet Begonias; China Cat Sunflower>I Know You Rider; Dark Star;
> Weather Report Suite

Oh, yeah, it's good stuff -- and I'm sure I remember interviews where it
was said that there was still more decent footage from what was shot for
the Movie above and beyond the bonus DVD.  Something to look forward to
.... Though I dig the stuff in the film, too.  I love the "Playing in
the Band" (even cut down from its original 56 minute performance!  Maybe
they could release that in its entirety on a further DVD :)

> BTW, Amazon (US anyway) is having a 50% off sale on all Grateful Dead DVD's
> until June 19th.  http://tinyurl.com/kmmlc

Aw, man, don't tell me this stuff! ;)

Cheers,
Carl