How to capture the Roadburn Festival webcast to disk

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Wed May 24 08:12:19 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-24 at 11:17 +0100, Carl Edlund Anderson wrote:

> On 23/05/2006 17:36, Paul Mather wrote:
> >> How big does the HW Roadburn .rm work out to be?
> >
> > Mine ended up at roughly 52 MB.
>
> That's about the size of the .rm file I've got here, then, OK.  Still,
> my attempt to turn it into a WAV via pcm disk audio output as you
> suggested seemed to "run away" when I left it running on the Windows
> machine at the end of the day, and I had a 64 *GB* file (and growing!)
> when I checked this morning!

With my FreeBSD version of mplayer, I ended up with a 752 MB WAV file,
so it seems like the Windows version has trouble detecting the end of
the stream and stopping.

The WAV file I got is 788398124 bytes long, which, at 2352 bytes per
sector; 75 sectors per second; and 60 seconds per minute yields a bit
over 74 minutes of audio.

> I may have to try that again.  Surely the WAV file shouldn't get bigger
> than CD size ....

No, it shouldn't.  Divide the size in bytes of your WAV file by 10584000
to get the number of minutes of audio it represents.  (It's not exact,
as the file size also incorporates some bytes for the WAV header.)  If
you're a long way off from 74 minutes, something's gone wrong.

In the worst case, if you can't get the Windows mplayer to play nice,
you could always interrupt it when the file grows to about 800000000
bytes and then use a WAV editor to trim it to the correct size.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Paul.
e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu