How to capture the Roadburn Festival webcast to disk

pete howe sunboxhouse at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri May 26 07:02:36 EDT 2006

ok..this is a bit offtrack in places, but carries on the "how bands earn
bread and butter money" by "paid for downloads",..".bands that will never
get a standard record deal.."
There was an interesting article in the respected Guardian Newspaper.
A certain band were the FRONT PAGE featured band at myspace.com(the bands
section of myspace)Being a featured front page band is a  big coup on a site
with 73+million members....Some interesting statistics were gathered...
1) Number of new FREE downloads(each band can make 4 songs free to
download)- the number ran into hundred of thousands.
2)Number of new fans-AGAIN, the number ran into hundreds of thousands.
3)Number of people who purchased their cd, or paid to download their album
at "pay sites"......ZERO....
   What does  this tell me???Were they THAT bad?Judging by the people who
snapped up the FREE downloads..clearly not...
..We basically sadly now live in a world where(especially regards your
ipod/Mp3 youngsters).. we'll gladly grab something for nothing..but as for
digging into our pockets for a measly few pence/cents to help a band..well,
hell, no..lets find some more free stuff on the web somewhere....
  ...Which brings me back to the Roadburn festival stream.If Hawkwind HAD
made this PAY TO DOWNLOAD, which they PROBABLY SHOULD HAVE DONE, IN
HINDSIGHT...it would have  been  interesting to compare figures ..
We can also debate the sound quality.."oh its not even 128 mp3 qual, so i'll
buy the official cd anyway" blah blah...but as most have pointed out..its
the best sounding recording for many years..And...people happily forked out
a few pounds for the horrendous quality of the Bring me the head of Yuri
Gagarin mess...Funny world..
      pete