HW: How to capture the Roadburn Festival webcast to disk

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Mon May 29 09:50:00 EDT 2006

;) "Free Lossless Audio Codec".  See also <http://
flac.sourceforge.net/> and <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLAC>.

> My home computer (a hand-me-down from over 10 years ago) is
> effectively an abacus, with no internet access (I'm at the library)
> because it would be pointless.  I keep telling myself that I'll by
> a state-of-the-art multi-media computer for myself to get caught up
> on all this online music (I could at least listen to Jerry's radio
> shows at A-I.com), but then I always think I'll wait until they're
> just one fraction 'better'.  I just really *hate* planned
> obsolescence, ie., knowing you're buying something that will be
> useless in two years.  So I put if off again and again.  But that's
> the nature of the game now...no avoiding it.

That's pretty much always been the technology game -- at least, since
the Industrial Revolution turned up the speed on innovation and
production starting a few centuries ago.

Anyway -- at least you can now be sure that you don't need a "state
of the art" computer to do stuff like listen to/watch multimedia
stuff.  After all, the masses want to have access to cool multimedia
stuff, and yer bog-standard bought-it-off-the-shelf computer that
didn't do pretty much everything the average music fan wants.

My G4 iBook is officially 2 generations behind these days (at least)
and desperately needs an additional hard-drive hanging off the side.
But it's got more than enough moxie for downloadable music (that's
really a space issue, thus the need for more drive space!) and for my
humble (very humble!) home-studio aspirations (all freely
downloadable! :D).

> So what I need is some incentive to force me to act, to get me off
> my Luddite ass and take advantage of all this stuff.  What Carl has
> outlined would be exactly that.  'Missing out' would suddenly
> become more than just tangible, but screamingly obvious.  Like I'm
> already feeling totally left out because I can't even listen to the
> streaming Roadburn set, let alone figure out all the instructions
> for saving a hard copy.  And if there were *lots* of shows being
> offered on a pay-to-download (I have a PayPal account, even a
> seller's account through Ebay, so I'm good there) coming straight
> from Hawkwind the band to me, with the money going straight back
> the other way, I'd buy a computer tomorrow.  Seriously. Do it.
> Please.

There are "lots of shows" being offered as pay-per-download (though
not, alas, Hawkwind shows). Go check <http://www.nugs.net/> and its
associated sites.  There are lots of free shows, too; go check
<http://www.archive.org/audio/etreelisting-browse.php?
collection=etree> which currently lists *35,000* concert recordings
freely available in one form or another (mostly downloadable MP3 and/
or FLAC, some streaming).

I find it ironic that the current top-selling show on
livedownloads.com was recorded the *exact same day* that Hawkwind
recorded Roadburn (but Hawkwind is selling nothing while complaining
when fans want to capture a low-bitrate streamed recording, while
Widespread Panic is selling their soundboard recording even while
allowing fans to freely distribute their audience recordings.  Uh,
can there still be any question about what the better decision is
here?).

> P.S. Orange Goblin last night here in Columbus...my ears still
> hurt.  Cool song selection...Solarisphere, Blue Snow, Quincy,
> Scorpionica, Hot Magic/Red Planet...older tracks I didn't expect
> really.

That's cool.  Post _Big Black_, I thought they lost a lot of their
melodic groove that had made them interesting in the first place.  I
didn't end up getting _Rage of Angels_ or whatever it was, or
whatever else they may have done next.  But there's always a soft
spot in my heart for Orange Goblin.  "Blue Snow" has never left my
iPod!  Now if they'll just start playing "Saruman's Wish" again :)

Cheers,
Carl

ObFreshlyPurchasedAndDownloadedFLAC: Gov't Mule, "Mr. High & Mighty",
22 May 2006, Bowery Ballroom, New York City, NY, USA.

--
Carl Edlund Anderson
http://www.carlaz.com/