OFF: waterfalls in space gig in exeter

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Thu Sep 7 13:30:46 EDT 2006

Arin Komins writes:

> For those of you who went to Exeter for the waterfalls in space gig...how
> was it?

Very good. The first backer, "Sky" was very ethereal (I fell asleep) but
pleasant. The second "Cyndee" was a female violinist who just seemed
to be there to make a racket and spoil the mood - we, and a number of
others, repaired to the bar to avoid her.

Tim/Jean opened with a fairly standard rendition of "Lighthouse", though
it did sound more intense with JPR's contribution. That was followed by
a funky sounding electronic number which may have been based on
something from TotC. Then came "Song for a New Age". This was followed
by what I'd travelled there to hear: New Jerusalem. It was a great
rendition of the song. I had hoped for some meandering play as on the
Waterfalls in Space bootleg tape, but not only didn't they do so but
what sounded like a miscuing event meant they cut out much of the
instrumental middle section from the song. If anyone was at the other
gig, I'd be interested to hear if they played NJ in full. Then came that
"Sandman" song whose title I can't remember. They followed this by
allowing Cyndee onstage and played something that sounded very Gonglike
that I didn't recognise. Then another instrumental I think is from
Caldea Music. They encored with a rousing version of Spirit of the Age
with Tim finally leading an audience chorus.

Tim did at one point make an impassioned point about the iniquity of
being jailed for having four billionths of a gram of THC in one's blood
when one's automobile is run into by a completely drunk idiot who
dies in the collision. It does sound as if he now fully expects a stint
in jail soon as a result of that unfortunate incident. If anyone then
obtains the address of the prison, I'll be happy to send a letter. God
knows his music has cheered me up during low times and I'm sure he'll
need any morale-boosting that's going.

The hall is small and it wasn't very packed. As usual I was followed
around the hall by two pairs of retards who'd apparently come to chat
about everything and sundry rather than listen to the music. It's quite
baffling really: there was a perfectly good cafe outside where they
could have chatted for free and where there wouldn't be some musicians
making a nuisance of themselves and forcing them to shout to make
themelves heard. Love'n'Peace is all very well, but it doesn't help deal
with these morons. Hanging's too good for 'em.

But perhaps I'm simply recovering from my stint on a jury earlier this
week...

Anyway, they were both on great form and clearly enjoying themselves,
and it was a pleasure to attend. next day was very sunny and we had a
walk up the canal for some excellent food and beer at the "Double
Locks". It's probably too far to use prior to any future Exeter gigs but
I found another three very excellent pubs there that will certainly
suffice.

FoFP