HW: live material

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Wed Jul 11 05:06:59 EDT 2007

On 11/07/2007 09:50, SHLL (Scott Heller) wrote:
> I was just thinking about all of the long lost live material by
> Hawkwind... I remember discussing this with Dave Brock in Bergen, Norway
> and he said that he had a whole bookshelf full of cassettes, reels and
> of live shows from all eras but that what he could remember was that
> these shows were not good. Someone was playing poorly, sound was not
> good enough or something else and he thought that none of these would
> ever be released.

Well ...that didn't keep some of the stuff on the Weird Tapes from being
released!  Or the rather dodgy sound quality "Live '79 Complete" (or
whatever it was called) from being released ....

> Any thoughts?? Any chance Dave would let someone transfer and archive
> this stuff before it is truely lost for ever??

Brock/Hawkwind need his/their own equivalent of the Grateful Dead
vault's Dick Latvala etc!  And probably a deal with Rhino Records! ;)
Though at the moment that latter is the least likely of all these
possibilities, I think ....

I'm sure there's a lot of stuff in Brock's attic that could be cleaned
up and dressed up with powerful audio processing technology.  I suspect
there isn't the money to do that sort of thing right away, but the place
to start would surely be the digitization/preservation of loads of tapes
(assuming that sitting in a farmhouse shelf in Devon isn't doing wonders
for their longevity!)

Cheers,
Carl

--