HW: Mystery "Brainstorm" (around 4:28 long)?

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Wed Jul 25 04:54:33 EDT 2007

On 24/07/2007 22:27, Jonathan Jarrett wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 02, 2007 at 11:41:07AM +0100, Carl Edlund Anderson typed out:
>> I thought it might be, though the online discographies I've checked (for
>> example, <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Your_Area>) suggest the
>> "Brainstorm" on _In Your Area_ forms part of a single track:
>> "Brainstorm" (Turner) / "Hawkwind in Your Area" (Brock/Rizz) 11:08.
>> ... though my mystery "Brainstorm" is by itself and only 4:28.  But
>> perhaps the track listing on Wikipedia for "In Your Area" is wrong, and
>> "Brainstorm" is a separate track on the CD from "Hawkwind in Your Area"?
>
> 	The problem here is that the track splits on the disc and those
> listed on the sleeve aren't the same. The sleeve tells you:
> 1. Brainstorm
> 2. Hawkwind in Your Area
> [...]
> but the disc lists only 12 tracks precisely because as far as it's
> concerned track 2 is `Alchemy' and track 4 is the outtro of `Love in
> Space' and then `Aerospaceage Inferno'. But on the unbroken track 1 the
> synth part of `In Your Area' starts at 04:24. So I guess that what
> you've got is a rip of this track which tastefully quits just as Rizz
> opens his trap :-)

Yeah, I think I'm satisfied that what I did was make a home-made
(re?)separation of "Brainstorm" from "Hawkwind in Your Area"
specifically to dodge Captain Rizz's ... contributions :)

> ObCD: Queens of the Stone Age - _Songs for the Deaf_ (anyone got an
> opinion on the new one yet or are we *all* too old or too cool to care?)

I have to confess never really warmed to QotSA beyond its/their
inaugural appearance on that split CD with Kyuss (the "Gamma Ray"
period), with an honourable mention to "Feel Good Hit of the Summer" ;)
  While doubtless jaded by a subconscious irritation that "they're not
Kyuss", I've always felt that Homme was drawing himself further and
further into a kind of unnecessarily self-conscious post-grunge, torn
between psych-o-boogie and Radioheadish uebercleverness (there's another
band I never really warmed too, despite everyone trumpeting them as
geniuses; moody depressing buggers sez I! :)

Er, so, no, I haven't got it ... But then I haven't got the other QotSA
albums either!

Cheers,
Carl

--