Reefer Madness?

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Mon Jul 30 11:05:49 EDT 2007

Stephen Swann writes:

> On Mon, Jul 30, 2007 at 11:37:18AM +0100, M Holmes wrote:
> > Stephen Swann writes:
> >
> > > I'd love to a comprehensive study of the harmful effects of
> > > alcohol
> >
> > I'm doing extensive research in this area. I expect to report after
> > about another 50,000 beers...
>
> You know, when you clip that statement out of context it
> sounds sanctimonious instead of snarky, like it was
> intended.  ;-)

Lucy has a great story about yanks and drink. She was at a medical
conference when a yank doctor started to present a paper on the links
between heavy drinking and cancer. As usual she started by laying out
the protocols of her research. In the definitions she noted that they'd
classed as a "Heavy drinker" anyone who'd had the equivalent of 4 pints
of beer or more in the last month. The audience collapsed in laughter to
such a extent that the woman had to stop lecturing. Most drinkers in
Scotland would have four or more pints of beer or equivalent with dinner.

I think many yanks think that Prohibition is still happening.

FoFP