HW: Tim's liberty

Colin Allen colinjallen at YAHOO.CO.UK
Tue May 1 12:17:08 EDT 2007

One problem here is that there are slightly different versions of Magna Carta as the original 1215 version was almost immediately disowned by King John (with the Pope's blessing). His son, Henry III reissued it in 1216 and 1217, the latter version being accompanied by the Charter of the Forest, which was also reissued in 1225, alongside a new reissue of the Magna Carta.

  Arguably, the Charter of the Forest was more relevant to the freedoms of "ordinary" people as the Magna Carta was really a form of peace treaty between King John and his most important subjects, which set out their rights.

  If anyone wants to know how this is relevant to Hawkwind, my response might be that there is a curious parallel between the number of times that the Magna Carta was reissued with slightly different content, and the frequency with which some HW albums get reissued with slightly different content.

Jonathan Jarrett <jjarrett at CHIARK.GREENEND.ORG.UK> wrote:
  On Mon, Apr 16, 2007 at 06:28:21PM -0400, Gordon Hundley typed out:
> On Apr 16, 2007, at 10:18 AM, M Holmes wrote:
> >I saw an original of the Magna Carta recently. The notes at the display
> >said that only 4 of the original 40 freedoms guaranteed by the document
> >still exist, and Labour is trying to abolish two of those.
> If memory serves, those freedoms were never conferred by the Magna
> Carta on common people, simply on clergy and nobility. But I follow
> your point.

The historian speaks up... It's a tricky point. Magna Carta
applies to all free men; but not serfs. Exactly where the boundary lies
between the two wasn't completely clear then and it isn't clear to us
now where it did then as a result. A serf in English law was one who was
legally bound to his land and couldn't leave without a lord's
permission; a free man could sell up and quit any time, although he
might be obliged to *sell* to his lord, often at a loss, and so his
circumstances weren't perhaps so very different.

The trouble is that we're talking about 1215--and the law in
question, being English, is assembled from cases, not decreed, and we
don't have this sort of thing written until the 1320s. For practical
purposes I think everyone who actually worked land, and a good few
artisans, and craftsmen, was subject but not necessarily enserfed, but
their precise status might only be known, even to them, when it came to
an argument either before a court or against the lord, both of which he
would have to be lucky to come out to any advantage.

Some further info based on one of the four surviving originals
at the British Library, including pictures and a translation:

http://www.bl.uk/treasures/magnacarta/basics.html

Yours,
Jon (who taught this once upon a time)
--
"When fortune wanes, of what assistance are quantities of elephants?"
(Juvaini, Afghan Muslim chronicler, c. 1206)
Jon Jarrett, Fitzwilliam Museum, jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk