OFF : Physics *is* fun.

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Fri May 4 13:00:21 EDT 2007

Arjan Hulsebos writes:

> > > Dead or alive?

> > Dead in an infinity of parallel universes and alive in the other
> > infinity...

> And there's still another infinity of universes where the cat is in an
> undetermined state, as nobody has yet bothered to look.

> Who said physics isn't fun?

In the Science Festival here I managed to get to an excellent lecture by
Marcus Chown. He covered quite a range of subjects includin the Tipler
Resurrection at the end of the Universe, why Elvis is alive and well and
married to you, an infinite number of times in this universe (if it's
infinite). He thinks there are parallel universes which would add a lot
more infinites to that. Then he went into Omega, the number which
answers every question in the universe but which has an infinite number
of digits which are unpredictable and can't be calclated. Except that
someone has used a quantum computer to calculate sixty digits, which is
great because that answers *some* of the questions in the universe.
unfortunately we don't know which those are.

To say that he blew the minds of the audence about six times in the
space of an hour is not hyperbole. People were very engaged in questions
and walked out somewhat dazed. If you get the chance, go see him.

FoFP