SCM

Keith Henderson khenders64 at YAHOO.COM
Fri May 4 14:55:06 EDT 2007

Gary wrote...    >Recently found "Moonbathing on Sleeping Leaves" at a pawn shop for $1. Good purchase or should I save my money?

  A CD for a dollar?  You're worried about it not being worth the price?  And I thought *I* was poor.  :)  Isn't the jewel box worth about 50 cents alone?  :)

  Anyway, to be serious for a moment, I would say that album is worth even a few dollars just for the track "An Ant, the Stars, an Owl, and its Prey" alone, which is one of the coolest, dream-space numbers of all time (the others being by 7% Solution, Spiritualized, and Asteroid #4).  Overall, the Moonbathing album is only average, because it's so hit and miss.  There's another cool section, with three tracks all segued into one another, roughly 7-8-9 or maybe 8-9-10, that I really like (more driving rock).  The title track is essentially a dancefloor number (there's a whole CD-EP full of dance remixes of this track).  I don't care much for that sort of thing, although this one isn't "awful" or anything.

  So I would recommend "This Timeless Turning" first, then the 2CD live album (Here and Now, or something) from a year or two ago (reunion gig) - maybe even this one first, as it has the best stuff from TTT and also "A.S.O.P." as I call it (the track mentioned above), then the Inner Experience album, the brand new one (Small Town), the Seeds and Exit at the Axis EPs, and then Moonbathing last I guess.  (Oh, there's also the very first SCM album, When the Grinders Cease (I think it is called)...which is a completely different band, including the guys who are now known as the Posies, and is not IMHO good at all...skip that one entirely).

  Grakkl