OFF: Porcupine Tree "Even Less" Demo version vs. "Stupid Dream" rewritten version

Thu Aug 7 10:40:58 EDT 2008

On Sat, Aug 02, 2008 at 02:41:58AM +0000, Amphetamine Embalmer typed out:
> PT interested folk, an off observation for BOC-l: the demo version of
> this Porcupine Tree song is totally different in lyrics then what
> appeared on "Stupid Dream" - its really cool how its totally opposite
> meanings and last minute changes to totally diff. lyrics. Too tired to
> type ALL them out but its really cool how they differ so much.- the
> first is about innocent Jesus and praying to God and a killer striking
> twice in a night, no mention of a Friend I cannot reach or being a
> martyr, for the grace of god for even less. Great song both versions!
> I enjoy how they are totally different. The demo is a must hear, its
> very negative.

	It's not quite as different as you think, in fact; the full
version of the track on _Recordings_ has all the lyrics of the demo
version, but the controversial ones are all shunted into the latter
half, so that they don't make the _Stupid Dream_ edit version. The
`killer' stanza is gone but pretty much everything else remains,
including some angry flailing against the Bible I imagine you'd enjoy.
The second half was also a B-side somewhere I think, I mean they milked
those three albums so dry it hurt to squeeze them. That was about when I
realised I was finished with being a PT Kollector.

> I also love "Piano Lessons" lyrics.

	The lyrics are all that stop `How Is Your Life Today?' being
`Piano Lessons' take 2, in fact. Yours,
					 Jon

--
"When fortune wanes, of what assistance are quantities of elephants?"
	    (Juvaini, Afghan Muslim chronicler, c. 1206)
 Jon Jarrett, Fitzwilliam Museum, jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk