CD-R quality (was Re: Shameless CDR vs CD questions)

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Mon Feb 18 08:28:54 EST 2008

On 18 Feb 2008, at 1:01 PM, vzenv14m wrote:

> Hi Paul,
> Thanks for the info, a lot of it goes over my head, but with Chris
> being a
> sound engineer, and a computer freak he'll know what you're saying.
> He's
> away for a few months, but I expect him home soon.  He'll know what
> to do.
> I hope all the shows are still up for grabs on the file sharing sites,
> because I don't know how to do that.  Thanks for setting me straight
> on the
> copying of CDs and CDRs.

It's a lot easier to verify whether your copy of a show is okay when
you get it from a file sharing site because it is already in data
format.  As a result, there are extra error checking mechanisms that
can be incorporated and used to tell whether the audio data has become
corrupted.  All of the common audio file formats used for lossless
digital audio trading have associated mechanisms for checking the
audio data, either externally or as part of the audio file format
itself.  SHN files, for example, almost always come with MD5 checksum
files that can be used to determine whether the SHN files have been
modified (due to data corruption, etc.).  FLAC files (the prevalent
lossless digital audio trading format nowadays) have strong checksums
built into file format that can check whether the audio data has
become corrupted.  MD5 and fingerprint files can also be used to
compare the audio files to a known authoritative source, to enable you
to verify that your version is *identical* to it.

So, it's easier to eliminate and detect generational loss when using
lossless digital audio files that are typically shared on the Internet
or traded via data discs.  (Lossless digital audio files also make
excellent archival backup copies, for that same reason.)

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

         --- Frank Vincent Zappa