OFF: Re: Heaven and Hell

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Tue Sep 9 13:08:09 EDT 2008

On 09 Sep 2008, at 07:30 , Swartz, John A. wrote:
> Holy Diver rocks.   "Shame on the Night" has the definitive sound of
> 80s metal bass to me.

I'm not saying I don't _like_ Holy Diver at all :) just that (coming
to this music decades later) that I like the high points of Dio-
Sabbath better than I like most of _Holy Diver_.  Perhaps, had I
"been there", I'd have different memories ... :)  It's OK, well
enough; I just don't completely suss its iconic status.

Admittedly, Vivian Campbell is justifiably great on _Holy Diver_ ...
which just makes it all the more irritating that he's just treading
water with latter-day Def Leppard (instead of giving them the real
kick in the arse they could use).

The 80s metal/hard-rock scene really passed me by back when it was
happening (barring, perhaps, Metallica towards the end of the
decade), and I certainly didn't really pay it much mind (barring, of
course, Motorhead!) in the '90s.  Other than being too young to pick
up on the early part of the decade, by the end of it there was just
too much hair-spray trauma! ;)  It was really Bruce Dickinson's
excellent solo album  _The Chemical Wedding_ towards the end of the
'90s that made me prick up my ears and start thinking there was
something to be heard in the classic power metal side of things -- I
only started giving Iron Maiden and Dio-era Sabbath some personal
auditions after that point.

Cheers,
Carl

--