OFF: Re: Dio, Maiden, etc.

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Tue Sep 9 18:28:00 EDT 2008

On 09 Sep 2008, at 16:58 , Jerry G wrote:
> I might have to check them [Grand Magus] out now. I just checked
> allmusic and found out the singer
> also sings for Spiritual Beggars.

Yeah, Grand Magus first really came to my attention via the Spiritual
Beggars -- though possibly I didn't warm to Grand Magus right away
back then because I was a massive fan of the "Spice" era Spiritual
Beggars, and felt like they kinda went downhill after Spice's
departure (though since it's mostly Michael Amott's band, maybe he
just started running low on song-writing ideas around the same
time).  Apologies to anyone who loves the latter-day Spiritual
Beggars! :)  Though Magus/Beggars vocalist Janne "JB" Christofferson
would be an asset to most any band.  (He's also the guitarist in GM.)

The first two Grand Magus albums definitely have a lot of the slow
stoner/doom thing going on, but they really seem to find their own
voice with "Wolf's Return", predecessor to the latest _Iron Will_
(also a new drummer on Iron Will, I think).  Something of a car crash
between Candlemass and bits of Maiden (or Priest or even Purple) with
a big Viking obsession going on.

Like the mighty Litmus :) Grand Magus are currently on doommongers
Rise Above Records.

Cheers,
Carl

--