HW: what's happening....

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Thu Jul 9 11:47:40 EDT 2009

On 08 Jul 2009, at 17:32, stevepxr5 at AOL.COM wrote:
> Where do you live Carl, and why is it so nearly impossible for you
> to get CD's in the post?? I'm sure I could send it to you, and if I
> could........

I live in Colombia, South America. :)  That's not nearly so dramatic
sounding as TV and Hollywood would paint it (though it was probably
even more dramatic than that about 15 years ago), but there is no
national postal system, digital media get slapped with very high
import taxes (not books, though), and my house actually has no
official postal address.  That said, books and letters sent to my mum-
in-law's flat (which does have an address :)) from abroad have a very
good record of actually arriving, but CDs and DVDs are scarcely worth
the risk vs. the expense.  (Digital media are more likely to go AWOL
than English-language printed matter! ;)

On the other hand, I have perfectly fine high-speed Internet that may
actually be more reliable than the service I had in the UK.  (As
usual in the developing world, when the new tech starts to arrive, it
arrives as _new_ tech, with no legacy systems to work around or on
top of, and so it actually tends to work surprisingly well.)
Therefore, I look forward more than ever to the day when buying
lossless downloads are the norm. :)

Cheers,
Carl

--