HW: Porchester

Rich W cosmicdolphin at COMCAST.NET
Tue Sep 1 05:30:57 EDT 2009

It's 3AM and the the Jet lag has me wide awake.

Porchester was a fantastic weekend. It was lovely to see everyone again,
and to meet new folk. This was intended to be a party, and thats what it
was. A gathering of friends from all over the world enjoying the music
we all love.

There were many highlights for me.

Musically, to finally hear Fahrenheit 451 live (twice), also 'You'd
Better Believe It' which I have never heard a better version of in all
my years as a Hawkfan. I liked the new songs. Everyone in the band
looked Happy. Tim played some fabulous Theremin, and was really givin it
some with the Keytar/Virtual Axe out front. I thought Captain Rizz
worked out very well for the middle section of Assassins/Hassan,
although not so much for Spirit of the Age ;-) Spirit felt a little
untogether on Friday, but Sauturday it was dead on.

Dave playing Harmonica however briefly was alone worth the price of
admission :-) 'Mirror of Illusion' and 'Green Finned Demon' were a
pleasure. I totally disagree with some of the earlier comments about
Huw, I think he was great on the Saturday, with various band members
guesting on different tracks (Tim playing Harmonica!!!) and Marion on
board to keep him flying. He still looks frail, but he belonged there,
and I was very happy to see him.

(Pause for Extreme Fanboy Moment)

Toby Marks!!! Banco De Gaia. Toby was DJing some great chill/spacey
stuff all weekend, which was fantastic, specially Saturday afternoon. If
you haven't heard any 'Banco De Gaia' albums, please go and check them
out. 'Maya' the first proper album (after his early tape stuff) is a
good place to start, then 'Last Train to Lhasa'
Toby is exploring some of his influences on the new album 'Memories
Dreams Reflections' including covers of Floyd, King Crimson, and
Hawkwind. His 22 minute version of Floyds 'Echoes' is bloody great.
Normally I'm quite shy about introducing myself, but I went over the DJ
booth and had my fanboy moment with Toby :-)

(End Extreme Fanboy Moment)

Clive From 'Dr. and the Medics' was a smashing MC for the Friday gig.

Richards Badger puppet spouting about Death Metal, in the Q and A
session. Hilarious.

Thanks to Kris, Dave, and everyone involved for a great weekend.

Rich W.