40th anniversary Gig

Theodore O Jackson tjackson at SYR.EDU
Tue Sep 1 11:36:55 EDT 2009

On 01 Sep 2009, at 06:35, Theodore O Jackson wrote:
> I guess Buck Dharma isn't one either.  He's been using  a
> POD for many years...

Has he?  I didn't know ....

Well, frankly, for the gigging musician who perhaps doesn't have a
pile of roadies and techies at one's beck and all, those things are
pretty handy.  You plug in, run out to the PA, and you're done.

Yep.  I think Buck splits his signal, runs one
to the board and another to his stage amps,
which are essentially monitors.  So, his stage
amps aren't just for show--sound actually runs
through them--but the preamps don't do anything
to create the sound...

  The
audience, insofar as they care at all, probably subconsciously
appreciate the fact that you've got trouble-free sound more than they
might appreciate the use of a "real" amp!

Yah, I have to admit I use modelers sometimes, although
I've had glitches with them too.  Being I rarely play
out these days, I have the luxury of leaving my
tube rig at practice, so I can use anything I want,
and the modelers stay home for noodling and figuring
out stuff...

tj